Monday 29 March 2010

Meow Meow at the Soho Theatre
March / April 2010

Caberet singing sensation, Meow Meow, is currently making her London debut with 'Beyond Glamour:The Absinthe Tour' at the Soho Theatre until April 10th 2010. Tickets are just £15. See a preview here or see Meow Meow's website at www.meowmeowrevolution.com

As we arrived and Robin dragged me into the front row at the Soho theatre, I was promptly informed by my beloved that this fine lady apparently crowd surfs, causing me to start looking for the exits. But I shouldn't have been worried, as no one, and darling I mean no one, is safe from the claws of the divine Meow Meow! I doubt there was an audience member left physically or verbally unpummelled by the end of this show. Combining the faded glamour and demanding demeanour of a diva in descent, Meow Meow is infectiously entertaining. Her reportoire is mainly sad songs, delievered in a variety of European languages, adding just a touch of the soviet kitsch to them. But this is not a downbeat evening - as everytime you a drawn into a deep swoon, Meow Meow is only too ready to whisk you out of the beauty of her voice with a moment of high camp humour (my favourite being when an alarm sounded and she stopped midway to take her 'pills' only to continue again as if she hadn't missed a beat). I was only too happy to have sat front centre at this show by the end and wish I could spend many an evening right there, as Meow Meow has captured my heart. She gets 5 little kitty paws out of 5 from this smitten kitten.


Ok, I admit it, I'm a total show pony. Ever since we spent all those family holidays at hotels with 'live entertainment' I've loved making an idiot of myself on stage, so from the first mention of audience interaction and I was hooked. However the Meow Meow show is everything I could have wanted and more, much much more. A high camp decadent diva who's not afraid to laugh at herself, a screaming, drink stealing queen who berates her audience and a beautiful soulful voice which takes you away. I couldn't recommend this enough. Meow Meow manages to combine the strong over the top personality of a starlet along with the delicate warmth of the singer she becomes. "careful, I'm real!" she squeals as she crowd surfs amongst the audience "hey you, hands away, did you get a good look?" as a red faced man attempts to pass her to the next row back. Wonderfully exciting, beautifully poignant and screamingly funny, I'd give Meow Meow 5 encores out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment