Friday 18 June 2010

After Pandora: Pirates & Showgirls social

After Pandora is as a friendly members community based in London, which regularly holds socials and parties which focus upon creating a safe, accepting environment for self-expression, creativity and heaps of naughty fun. In order to join this community, potential members are invited to attend one of their regular social events which are held in order to vet potential members for their private events.





What a great venue! This summer soiree was held on the Battersea Barge which is tucked in on the Thames just near the Battersea Power Station, which made it the ideal setting for such an night. Even though it was a typically breezy London in June evening, it was still a marvellous spot and the intimate, cabaret style interior made it ideal for such a party.

As usual, I hadn't read much about what I was going to (I saw the word 'pervy' and 'party' and that was about all I needed) so I just figured this was an event for all the regular members to attend without necessarily any below the belt action happening. You know, a civil affair rather than a sordid one. I hadn't read up that this was an event to vet me as a potential member, so I left Robin tied up at home and bought some lovely lady arm candy with me instead. It was my bad in doing so and probably tainted my initial impression when I climbed aboard the boat only to discover that, even at nearly 9pm, the party was in less than full swing. I am quite sure there is a restriction by the venue owners on the numbers that can attend, and of course the organisers want to ensure that everyone can get a seat during the performances plus they can meet and great all the newbies, so keep the crowd to a minimum was preferable, but it didn't make for a very wow! event. That said, practically everyone in attendance had come dressed in costume and were eager to engage with the proceedings of the evening.

My friend and I were lucky to grab a seat up the front near the ample stage area and I was really pleased that there was a sit down, traditional cabaret style section for the audience. One of my biggest gripes with so many nights with such performances is that you have to stand up, and as a both a former entertainer and a lady of small stature in heels, I am never impressed by such an option. So it was great to be able to plonk ourselves within close proximity to the action. And, my word, was there action! As this was a free event (no cover charge AND reasonable food and drink prices I might add) I am a little more forgiving of the performances which kept swinging from simply outstanding to rather dubious. Of notable mention was the oh-so-watchable and incredibly talented Bryony Kimmings, who kind of stole my friend and my heart that evening. I really encourage anyone who gets the chance to catch one of her performances to rush rush rush to be there. Also a shining star was The Groom, who literally bought the house lights down with his fucking hot Kill Bill burlesque. Original, energetic and so terrifyingly hot, there was a dry pair of pants left in the room. The compere for the evening Jessica Fostekew was also such a pleasure you often would have preferred she stay on stage a bit longer. Female stand-up comedians are such rarities; it makes this one a bit of a treasure. I don't think I could write this review without mentioning the final performance by Katja Saucy-Pants. As a lover of Gurlesque, I am very accustomed to seeing great lengths of tinsel, flags etc being pulled from a woman's nether regions, but perhaps after her rendition of 'Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend" I wasn't really expecting that she had been carrying that much plastic jewellery inside herself all that time.... though it was delightful to see a splodge of joy juice go flying into some guys face at the end.

After the performances, we adjourned back up on deck where I had the delight of finally meeting Miss Kitty Stryker before my friend and decided it was probably worth making the long journey (well long for someone who rarely leaves it) back to East London before we got too drunk.

I'd be very interested in seeing what the actual parties are like. And who knows, I might even let Robin out to play too.

No comments:

Post a Comment